Saturday, April 13, 2013

Who pays the ferryman

Day One to Per shore....
I arrived, my longest ride so far..... but to be fair, I had and needed help.
First there was the three musketeers:
  1. thanks to the Riches and James... and quite a few support staff, supplying me even with sore bottom cream..I made it to Gloucester...and as I pootled on north of Gloucester I was feeling pretty chuffed with myself....what a wonderful quiet route I have planned I thought....all along the river Severn..wonderful. But then as I tootled down a quiet lane...a dead end...well actually a river...the Severn a big one. my sat nav gaily told me to cross the river and pick up the road on the other side and wholah Tewksbury! Who did the Sat Nav think I was....Moses.. I know some people have Faith in me but this was ridiculous. Hmmmm how to get back on the main road, this road less travelled stuff had got me nowhere...it was then I saw him, the little ferryman. Can I get the bike in that I asked, sure he said as he docked the boat (a bit wobbly I thought!) How much? £2 he called..a steal I thought, £2 or another 10 miles.... Then he asked me what I was doing, and as he whisked me across the Severn... he refused to take any money....what a wonderful bloke..Colin was his name.
 
So on a day that was meant to be all about Abbey's...Pershore, Tewkesbury and Gloucester (cathedral...well nearly an Abbey) suddenly my day was different. No longer was I reflecting about the past glories of Christianity..as I journey towards the place where it 1st established itself in our country... rather my question was..."Who pays the ferryman?" A small act of kindness, reminds me that all is not lost... God's goodness...is still very much alive in the Colin's of the world. so if you are so inclined do pray for Colin. if you are not so inclined, thank you that you are probably the kind of person who does the sort of little things that people like Colin do.
who pays the ferryman?


A great first day...thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment