Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The End

Whenever a family member goes away, we have taken to praying the above prayer from the Northumbria Community where I stayed for my post pilgrimage rest and retreat. Its about adventure; 'the wonders he has shown you.' Its also about connection, 'may he bring you home rejoicing once again into our doors.'
Wonders
The last couple of days cycling were simply awesome: Riding up the Northumbria coast as I waited for the tide and the causeway to re-open, peaceful and wonderful, castles and beauty.

Then of course I had 'my helper' arrive. One of my main coaches, who helped me to get to a point where cycling 40 miles a day was even possible. Chris arrived at the Causeway having cycled from Edinburgh that morning (we couldn't quite fathom the glowing hands, but he had cycled 90 miles!) His job was to lead me home rejoicing the following day. This he did even though the hills and the wind were formidable opponents! If you look hard into the distance you may catch Arthur's seat and Edinburgh as we crossed the fabulous Lammermuir Hills. (This was the place where a young shepherd boy St Cuthbert felt the call to ministry on the very night that St Aiden died on Lindisfarne. Even if I was following Chris, I felt I was in the company of Saints!)


It was simply a wonderful way to end my adventure. My sense of achievement to cycle over the Peak District, the Pennines to Leeds, to York, Whitby through Sunderland, Newcastle... to Holy Island and then after a rest on to Edinburgh... fantastic. I can't really believe that was me 649 miles and many 1,000's of feet up and down a real adventure! My bubble did burst slightly when after all those days of travel, sometimes over 8 hours in the saddle, 11 days of riding, the plane took just 55 minutes to arrive in Bristol! Bring me home rejoicing though, it did!

Connection and doors
 I don't think I ever lost connection. Of course nowadays there are mobile phones and email... but when you are riding you are always connected, the wind the road, the hills...the same wind, the same land that we all walk upon. I also felt the whole idea of a Pilgrimage opened doors that are often shut. Chatting to people, literally having people come over and tell their story to me, I felt I was on Holy Ground long before I reached Holy Island.  (If you are interested in this, I have just finished a wonderful book called: The Unexpected Pilgrimage of Harold Fry..a wonderful novel, not religious just delightful and powerful.) Of course the one who gained the most from this adventure was me, to be there was a privilege, even when it hailed briefly as we arrived in Edinburgh... I decided this was my ticker tape welcome for my longest ever ride in a day...eventually 82 miles. I am also delighted and proud to say that through your connection others will benefit, both of the charities I will visit in the summer will receive in excess of £1250, indeed I am secretly hoping that if a few more gifts come in like the £50 last night I may even make the £3,000 mark, just £300 more needed for that.

Good to be home
I have learnt a lot in preparing and now executing this pilgrimage. Walking with the Celtic saints, waiting for the tide to allow me to travel has reminded me of the beautiful rhythm that we have in life. Time to rest, time to work, time to sleep and time to waken. If everyday were 80 miles in a saddle over imposing hills then that would be no adventure. If everyday were resting other tensions would arise.(I noted as I passed particularly Middlesborough, just how many men I was suddenly seeing, walking dogs, or children or just walking.)  As I rejoice at being home, finishing of a wonderful sabbatical I am glad that there is a rhythm in life, an ebb and a flow. A time to give and a time to receive. I have received so much... now the end has come, which in my book will become a new beginning.
Thank you again for all your amazing support.

No comments:

Post a Comment