Sunday, April 14, 2013

Birmingham by boat?

And it was all going so well. yesterday I managed to cycle right into the heart of our 2nd city, barely seeing a car. I genuinely saw more horses than vehicles....anyone would think I am walking in the footsteps of Wesley or something!
There was one hill which probably ought to have persuaded me to avoid the peak district (which I am attempting today!) ...but the sponsorship didn't say....to Lindisfarne (mainly) by bike! 

So lunch in Birmingham followed by a potter along canals out to Lichfield in time for evensong......so I planned. Well you've heard of Roadworks, this was towpath repairs.... the diversion was definately designed for walkers, involving carrying my pannier laden bike up 12 flights of canal stairs. I thought about taking a picture, but was frankly too knackered! So I set of in the wrong direction, got renavigated  away from my chosen route, and learnt a few more lessons...my favourite from the midday prayer...patient endurance attaineth to all things. I did make it to the Cathedral...just before they closed up, but at this place where they have worshipped for nigh on 1400 years...I was too late! 

All in all, even though I definately saw less horses than cars in the afternoon..a good day, a route refound, and I must have crossed about 7 motorways.... My best encounter was with a sort of hippie/ down and out...who looked at my bike and simply said.... "I hope that's lighter than it looks." Fortunately this was before the 12 flights of stairs, so I didn't swear! I hope by the time I get to the sweet taste of Buxton, I will have avoided swearing today! 

Lichfield, the ancient capital of Mercia, one of the first centres of Christian worship after Northumbria...is now behind me...I press on, and today...up!


No comments:

Post a Comment