Saturday, April 20, 2013

To Lindisfarne and beyond!

Well I made it...all the way to Lindisfarne by bike! Today was a fantastic days cycling, again 
Lovely weather, beautiful scenery...not too hilly, lovely coastline... only 1 puncture....but it was really hard. it was mentally hard, to be so close and yet so far. it turned out to be the longest ride I've ever done 68 miles... (I'll add up my totals later!) 

The real problem was that I got really excited yesterday....I was nearly here, I got really really excited today...when I saw the Island....BUT...so close and yet so far...I had to cycle past the Island practically before I could come across...my brain struggled, my legs struggled...my heart ached for the end of the journey. 

Today was all about arriving..not about the journey...I got to the A1..! Just a few miles north and I'd be there...But I have not built this pilgrimage on speed, or A roads, I've pottered along, sensing, enjoying wondering. Yet my mind really fancied the quick dash up the A1..! And once my legs realised that the picturesque route involved hill after little hill...my 
Legs were with my mind....take the A road...get it over with...we are tired out.  I won't even tell you what my bottom was telling me!
My heart however resisted....on a journey, a pilgrimage, you do not just throw in your principles right at the end, or when things get tough...It was right not to rush this, to practically cycle past Lindisfarne...to go beyond and then to turn back to arrive at a place of peace...peacefully. 
The cycle across the causaway was so peaceful...and now my heart rests.
More pictures and reflections will follow...but for now my legs and my stomach are winning....time to eat. Thank you for all your prayer and support.
Stephen
Total Mileage: 478



No comments:

Post a Comment