Thursday, May 14, 2020

Practising Hope in a time of Uncertainty


I will  share briefly my story: At the beginning of this Pandemic I was faced with three challenges, firstly my children and their partners were working in the front line, albeit in other parts of the country. My elderly Father is increasingly dependant on Debbie and I. And the church was clearly not going to be able to continue as 'normal.' When stuff happens in the news I normally pride myself on getting clued up to what is happening. In this instance, the more I knew, the worse and more anxious I begun to feel.  I thus had to make a decision, what would I do about my ANXIETY. I decided upon the one thing that I ought to do all the time: Prayer. (after all I am a minister!)

My first concrete action was a commitment to myself that I would not begin each day in anxiety, after reading about all the latest deaths. I would begin each day drawing close to God and praying for those I love, near and far, and for all those who are serving us during this crisis. It turns out, for me at least, this was a very good decision! My levels of anxiety dropped, and I was much better able to support my loved ones, and indeed cope with the myriad of changes that seemed to come each day. It also turned out that I had chosen a pathway which suited 'lockdown' rather well. I listened to astronauts, arctic explorers, soldiers and even Monks who had all lived in isolation, say that a crucial aspect of surviving isolation is to create a rhythm in each day and week. Morning, Midday and Night Prayer did this for me, alongside the very different rhythms that soon developed on a Sunday and weekend.

Of course I am not suggesting that I have lost all my anxiety. Not at all. However within a rhythm and practice of prayer and reflection, I  stumbled upon a reality that I am quite sure has helped me. To this end, I would like to invite others to join me in this Ancient Practice. I have decided to make myself as available as I can to anyone in the Frampton, Coalpit or Winterbourne area who wants to explore a practice of prayer.

I call it: Practising Hope in a Time of Uncertainty.

If you would like to find out more please contact me via Zion United Church's website or phone line: www.zuchurch.co.uk or 01454 776618.  at present I am arranging these meetings 'virtually' and will offer this help to anyone who is willing to honestly admit that 'there may be a God!'

I pray God's blessing and healing upon you and all you love, and I ask that you too may find a pathway to Peace in a time of great Uncertainty.

With love
Stephen Newell (United Reformed Church Minister, Zion United Church, Frampton Cotterell)

No comments:

Post a Comment