Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thanks for all the teachers!

A Blog from my Thought for the day on Radio Bristol 

I've realised that I am getting old, today is my last ever parents evening.  My children have had some wonderful teachers over the years; indeed I hope I am one of them, although I suspect I have taught as many bad habits as good ones!
People that teach us come in all shapes and sizes. I remember a Physics teacher who, single handed, changed my life: he didn't see me as my chemistry teacher did: ‘lazy, immature and not as clever as he thinks he is!’ My Physics teacher lit a spark in me; he saw potential neither I nor others had seen. Then there was a welcomer at my old church: Dennis. He knew everyone’s name and made every one of us feel special. Sometimes people teach us by the way they cope with things, their reactions. I remember Tony and Beth whose son, a friend of mine was murdered by two of his ‘friends’. They helped me to mourn and also showed incredible mercy towards their son’s killers and families. At the time I was losing my faith, their response showed me something incredibly deep.
Of course, as I get old, I’m supposed to be a teacher myself… trouble is I still have so much to learn. That’s why I still try to spend time with my teacher every day. Like my physics teacher his patience still lights a spark in me.

                So there’s my thought, as we approach an election where there’ll be arguments about free schools and tuition fee’s and all sorts … stop, and think of all the people who have taught you,  and find a way to say thank you, even if that means showing kindness to someone else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment