Friday, November 15, 2019

Advent: time to take a breath



                This year during Advent we are going to post a short advent poem on Zion’s Facebook page. These poems are written by Amy Scott Robinson and published by Engage worship. Here is perhaps my favourite:
 Advent:

The conductor raises his baton, the choir takes a collective breath.
                Perhaps I like it, because it is so far from my reality. My own version might read something like this:
Advent:
                The clock ticks into December and the minister tumbles down the stairs in surprise and horror!
                December always seems to come as a shock to me. Those of you who know me are aware that preparation and organisation are not my strongest suits. I am the original last minute.com.  However Advent helps, it reminds us to get ready for something special. (I’ve been helped in recent years by the discovery of ‘Celtic Advent’ a full 40 days beginning on the 16th Nov.)
Getting ready is a really important discipline. It’s something we should really practice every day. Just as we prepare to celebrate the coming of God in Jesus at Christmas, we ought really to prepare to encounter God in our daily lives. The first snowflake, the smile of a stranger, the smell of sweet wet grass, a spiders web glistening in the sunlight, all of these and so much more besides could, if we were more prepared, act as windows to help us encounter God’s love. The fact that we often miss them is because we have forgotten to anticipate, we do not see because our hearts are dulled and we do not expect to see. 
                What will help us is the reminder that there is a conductor who longs for us to be a part of his choir. Each day he raises his baton hoping that our eyes will turn to him. When we do notice him we take a breath, still our hearts, and prepare ourselves to overflow with his love. We become, if you like, similar to the spiders web, a thing of beauty out of which the glory and goodness of God may shine.
This is advent, the reminder to watch for the conductor, and whenever we see him to take a breath ready to overflow. (Elsewhere in the magazine I have included a piece from our URC Synod Moderator, Ruth Whitehead, which she shared recently at a Synod meeting. In it she shares a little of a simple technique of ABCDE which she uses to raise her expectations of meeting with God.)
Finally may I take this chance to say thank you to P-j, for all his wonderful work, love and support. For me he has been one like the smell of sweet wet grass, who so often has reminded me of the goodness and love of God. I pray God will continue to bless him. May I also wish you and all those whom you love a peaceful and happy Christmas

Stephen Newell

A way to pray each day:  by Ruth Whitehead, URC SW Synod Moderator (Stephen’s boss!!)


You will find many variants on the “Examen” of St Ignatius, and some people like to end the day with this – I prefer to do this in the morning as I stay awake better!

At Synod recently I spoke about a method that uses the letters of the alphabet for the 5 stages:
A… Become aware of the presence of God.
B…Look back on the day with gratitude
C…Pay close attention to your emotions
D… Choose one aspect of the day and pray from that
E… Look forward to tomorrow with expectation that God will be with you.
You can do the Examen in just a few moments, or spend longer on it, and I would just remind you that the prayer at point D can be asking for help for yourself, for the world, for others; asking forgiveness; or simply giving thanks, whatever seems right that day…..





No comments:

Post a Comment